The Music Leader in Primary is IMMENSELY important. Through devoted teaching of the gospel through Primary Songs and singing, the Music Leader can influence the children for good in so many ways.
1. Finding joy through singing the songs of the Gospel. A dedicated music leader will use many teaching strategies and visual aids to make learning the songs fun. When Singing Time in Primary is joyful, the kids will respond favorably to learning the music.
2. Learning to love singing and doing it well. The Primary Music Leader should be able model good singing and help the children learn to match pitches and rhythms. These skills are important for ensuring Singing Time is enjoyable for all. This may be the only place some children get to practice singing.
3. Feeling the Spirit. Singing Primary Songs as a group is a wonderful way to invite the Spirit into the meeting. It may be in Primary where the children first learn to feel the Spirit, and probably while singing a song.
4. Incorporating the simple Gospel truths into their lives through memorization of the Primary Songs. If the children memorize the Primary songs and have a spiritual experience while singing, it is likely that years later these songs will come back to their minds during times of trouble and give them comfort.
5. Reaching out in love and testimony. The Music Leader should invest time into learning each child by name and something about them. Making the children each feel loved and valued can be life changing for them. By doing this, the Music Leader is extending the Savior's love. It is vital for the children to know that the Music Leader knows them, loves them, and has a testimony of the Savior and his Gospel.
A good Music Leader can put the Primary children on a solid foundation of Gospel learning and growth in testimony. They may even develop good singing skills in the process.
The Primary Music Leader is a VERY IMPORTANT CALLING!